> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Libel, Slander and Defamation > what kind of lawyer do I need to sue for slander and liable?

what kind of lawyer do I need to sue for slander and liable?

1 Answers. Asked on Apr 25th, 2013 on Libel, Slander and Defamation - Florida
More details to this question:
My HOA sent out a 13 page newsletter defaming me before the Annual Meeting to elect Directors (of which I was one) and then in a Directors Meeting the President also defamed me. Do I have a good case to sue? I lost the election because the President sent out 2067 newsletters and emails to 800 residents telling them I was trying to harm the association. I am just trying to make the President follow State statutes and the By-Laws. He picks and chooses which ones to follow.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on May 03rd, 2013 at 5:16 PM

No way to tell because your question skips over he essence of defamation (untrue statements made with knowledge of the falsity)  in favor of just declaring the events defamatory. The practical issue, though, assuming that the statments were defamatory is whether or not you are willing to spend money on an attorney to address the issue, as very few competent lawyers will take defamation cases on a contingent fee (paid by prcentage of the damages recovered) because they are unlikely to actually getpaid for the work needed to sue and get a judgment and such claims are not usually covered by insurance. If not, you may want to focus on other means of addressin this type of issue as I have seen this exact circumstance become an obsessiv Hatfield and McCoy battle that bankrupts both parties. If you are commited to doing something about it, however, the first test of that commitment will be the sacrifices YOU make to gather the funds to actually hire legal counsel.

All responses are NOT to be considered legal advice nor to be relied upon in any as such nor to establish any form of attorney/client relationship. Opinions expressed are solely informational and not a substitute for proper legal advice provided by a properly retained after thoroughly researching the issues presented.

Report Abuse
Libel, Slander and Defamation
Has you been harmed by false and malicious statements? You may be entitled to compensation under libel, slander and defamation laws. If a former employer or competitor has maligned your character, or someone has made untrue statements about you on the internet, or a media organization has falsely accused you of committing a crime, then you should consult with libel, slander and defamation attorneys immediately. Defamation can have serious consequences, making it difficult to obtain a job, and hurting your personal and professional reputation. Lawyers at a law firm with defamation experience can assist those who have been defamed as well as those who have been accused of defamation.
Have an Libel, Slander and Defamation Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

350 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

251 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

190 Answers, 27 Legal Topics

Ms. Maryellen Sullivan, Esq.

Attorney - Maine

155 Answers, 4 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

149 Answers, 22 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

137 Answers, 37 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

83 Answers, 14 Legal Topics

Libel, Slander and Defamation Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Kennedy Law, LLP

Dallas, TX

| Contact Now

Robert Dawson

Glen Allen, VA

| Contact Now

Bustos Law Firm, P.C.

Lubbock, TX

| Contact Now

Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums